ACCELERATING UNITED STATES R&D: In a time of great power competition, President Trump’s FY 2021 Budget puts America in position to maintain its global leadership in science and technology for generations to come.
- President Trump’s FY 2021 Budget invests $142.2 billion in Federal research and development (R&D), a 6 percent increase over his FY 2020 budget.
- The President’s Budget prioritizes the Industries of the Future, and commits to double R&D spending in nondefense artificial intelligence (AI) and quantum information science (QIS) by 2022.
- President Trump is the first President in American history to include AI and QIS as Administration R&D priorities. Since his inauguration, the Trump Administration has supported historic investments in R&D, bold national strategies, a pro-growth regulatory agenda, and a commitment to the American workforce.
- Beyond R&D, the FY 2021 Budget includes investments in education and job training that will help create a diverse and highly skilled American workforce to support the Industries of the Future.
- At the National Science Foundation, an additional $50 million will go toward AI and QIS workforce development, with a focus on community colleges, Historically Black Colleges and Universities, and Minority Serving Institutions. Read more…